Thanks for the input.

I listed a lot of equipment because I already have and used them for hiking(emergency bivy), traveling (eg steripen,silk liner), car camping, sleeping over at other people s places, setting up day camps (eg. when I go backwood paintballing with friends). I m not bringing everything, just bringing the appropriate equipment depending on my needs.

I got the footprint because I have bad memories of not using one, when I was a boy scout. But then they were not like the tents I m looking at.

Speaking of tents, I think I ll return the footprint and keep the REI quarter tent or go for the scarp 2 depending on if I go out this upcoming weekend and how much I want to spend. With 2 people the weight is split in half so in my mind its not too bad.

Cooking,
I essentially have no experience outside of making a campfire and grilling food over it. I have lightweight utensils and thats it.

clothing,
I m set, really. I spent half my life in the alps hiking, skiing/snowboarding, among other activities during from summer to winter in all kinds of conditions. I know with my clothes I am fine in -20 celsius or in blizzards . Love the eVent jackets btw.

bacpack
the osprey weighs 3lbs 9oz, I know it fits me, I also like the mesh backing - I found that my back got a lot less wet from sweating. On the other hand it is on the heavy side.

tools
Anyone have a suggestion for a nice lightweight knife ?
I do like and used quite a bit the saw on my SAK, and the scissors though only while traveling, and corkscrew and ...well the SAK has been useful.

I have a postage scale already, used it to weight individual stuff before my big summer trip. My photo equipment weighed almost as much as my regular pack for the european part of my vacation!

Hydration
which model steripen do you have ? mine has worked fine, but it wasnt in the cold / high altitude. Read that the latest models rectified a few weaknesses.

Other
I do like my creature comforts, and right now I m hoping to convince other people to come camping more often but I don't see that happening if we "rough it" too much.

Dry sack, It was useful in the pacific while at the beach. I could swim, bring my stuff along and not worry about the electronics for example. I used it for white water rafting, and was hoping to try canoe camping one of these days.

Sleeping
Still trying to decide on the sleeping bag/quilt etc..
Have not tried the BA core, but I love my neoair.

the silk liner was helpful while staying a hostels, combined with the neoair I had people accept me more easily.

I hope to put up a revised list specifically for lightweight camping soon.