I've discovered that if I use an electrolyte mix (I use Hydralite, formerly known as Gookinaid, which is less sweet than most of the ones I've tried), I need less water, feel more hydrated and, most important for me, don't have to get up as many times during the night! Without the Hydralite, the water I drink seems to go right through me from one end to the other without really quenching my thirst.

I drink a lot of water--at least a half-liter--when I get up in the morning, and continue drinking while I'm packing up. On the trail, assuming several water sources during the day, I start with one liter to which I've added Hydralite (half-strength). When the bottle is half-empty, I get another liter and drop a chlorine dioxide pill into it. By the time the first liter is empty, the second liter has sat in my outer pack pocket several hours and has warmed up. I then mix in some more Hydralite. I usually have half a liter left when I get to camp, which allows me to drink up while the water obtained when I reach camp is purifying. I boil the water for dinner and herbal tea, so I don't have to wait for that. In the evening I don't use the Hydralite mix but drink plain water (I don't want to ingest water containing sugar after brushing my teeth!).

If there will be no water sources during the day, I start with 2 liters.