Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Pasta works if you cook it at home and dehydrate. It still takes a while to rehydrate, but at least this way it will be al dente instead of threatening to break a tooth. Very fine pasta (like angel hair, or anything in which the directions say cook 7 minutes or less) will work with a really warm cozy and sitting 20 or more minutes.

Couscous is a form of pasta which doesn't require all that bother--just add your hot water and let sit only a few minutes. I now use it instead of pasta. It is available in a whole wheat version. I must admit, though, that to my grandkids it can't substitute for spaghetti! On the other hand, couscous, unlike spaghetti or angel hair pasta, won't poke a hole in your freezer bag!

I also find egg noodles which typically also cook really quickly work just fine when used for 10-15 minutes in a hot cozy.

I am far too lazy to dehydrate my own pasta, so when I do this
I use either what OM said above, or egg noodles.

When I do it I usually have a good cozy that fits around my pot. I put the noodles and whatever else in the right amount of water, bring it to a boil, and jam the whole pot in the cozy. You can also do it freezer bag style of course.

My favorite pot cozies for this are just home made out of blue foam and duct tape, made to tightly fit the pot and seal up over the top.

Browse my pictures