Ugh, well I knew I was going to get beat up for this list and that it good. I myself knew that that base weight was ridiculous, but I just couldn’t see a way around it without help. That is the reason why I posted it on here, so you ladies and gents could make me see the light. Although im not in the day light yet, im starting to see dawn 

This has been hard for me to do as I don’t have the gear to weigh myself or best information sources to make wise decisions as to actual gear size and weight. In addition to that a lot of things are being factored into that list especially cost. I know there are lighter weight packs, tents and bags, but I don’t know if I could ask someone to spend in excess of $600 on gear that they may only use a couple of times in their life time. I will go back threw the list and cut it down to 20lbs including the group and fishing gear. This should put the ending weight at about 40lbs. That I hope will be do able for 18 miles spread out over 2 days. Clothes, Pack, Tent, Bag and some of the Personal Gear seems to be the biggest issues, so I will start working on those first. Water weight is not a big concern as the trail follows the river most of the way and crosses several feeder steams, so resupply shouldn’t be an issue.

To respond to some of the more specific comments.

The deodorant is something that is not needed, however it is a feel good item. For the amount of weight it adds I think my group would agree that it acceptable. With that being said I will try and find a lighter weight solution.

Pika:

6) the zip lock bags serve two purposes, first they waterproof and second they act as vacuum seal bags for space saving. You put your clothes in them (tightly rolled), sit on the bag to push the air out, then seal them.

The water bottles are a great suggestion, that I will look into.

OregonMouse:

I put rain gear as optional, because I found with my limited experience that in areas with finicky weather by the time you relize it is going to rain you are drenched before you get your rain gear out and the rain tapers off shortly after you get your rain gear on. In these scenarios, full rain gear (top & bottoms) becomes more hassle than its worth imo.

From the research I did I was told that late July the average temperature at night in that area would be around 40 degrees, however I agree that it would be smarter and safer to plan for 20 degrees. I will adjust for that.

P.S. Thank you for the links, they are very helpful.

TomD:

Agreed, the 200 ft of parachute cord is a waste. The rope I need to keep, although I might be able to cut down on the length. The Bob Marshall is Bear country and the regs for that wilderness require/suggest a bear line, that you need to put up yourself. So figuring 15’ between trees plus tying is about 20’ plus the line to hauls the food up their another 15’ which puts that at about 45’ total at a min.

The base list is what is/was required by BSA for a Philmont trek. I just used that as a base. Since that base members of the group have added things that should be removed.

skcreidc:

A preliminary hike to see what the trip will be like and test all the gear is definitely in order. I will plan that for April/May of next year.

Trailrunner:

I didn’t mention a stove or fuel, because the plan is to use pre-made dehydrated foods that only require water to make. This allows us to use camp fires to boil water and saves the weight of that item. Not to mention the issue of flying with gas canisters even empty in this day and age.

balzaccom & Whiskeyguy:

Yes, I plan on weighing everything before I finish. Those weights are approx. so they could be very well be way over. I wont know until I have it all to weigh.