Originally Posted By balzaccom
First of all--this is great information you've been given here. Pika and her friends really took a lot of time to go through your list and slice and dice it appropriately. I agree with all of their advice, with one exception.

THE FIRST THING I WOULD DO IS BUY A SMALL SCALE, SO THAT YOU CAN WEIGHT ALL THIS STUFF AND MAKE GOOD DECISIONS.

If you do that, I guarantee the suggestions here will make all the sense in the world.

I'm not an ultralight backpacker and my experience is limited, however I am currently using a small food scale and weighing every single piece of gear i have in ounces. I made a fairly basic Excel worksheet where I can enter everything, and based on whether or not I check a box next to the gear the total is given to me in ounces and pounds.

It's a great way to see how every item affects your pack differently. Why take a flashlight that weighs 17 ounces when you can take one that weighs 6 ounces along with a headlamp that weighs 5 oz and still save 6 oz. I didn't realize my Camelbak 100 oz bladder weighed 7.3 pounds full. Regardless of the style of backpacking you like, ultralight or overly-prepared and comfortable like myself, there are areas where weight can be cut and it will add up.

Edited by Whiskeyguy (09/15/10 02:58 AM)