Originally Posted By NJDrew

Total Weight = 42.84 lbs (not including fishing equip, group equip & food)

Ouch. Just looking at that number makes my legs hurt. And if you add food (reasonable estimate 2 lbs/day x 9 days = 18 lbs), water, a stove and fuel, which you didn't mention, all that fishing gear and your share of the group equipment I'll guess you're approaching 70 pounds.

Random suggestions in no particular order:

Waaaaay too much clothing. One pair of pants and some shorts will do. Too many socks. You don't need dedicated sleep clothes. Use whatever is clean. Your rain gear can be your jacket too. Think multiple use. If you're out for nine days wash a few items every day and rotate them. If they're not dry when you break camp strap them to your pack. People do the JMT (211 miles) on two pairs of socks and one pair of pants. Not including consumables e.g. food and fuel, my pack weight is not much more for 10 days than it is for 3 days.

5 pounds is a lot for one person's shelter. Consider sharing a tent or finding a lighter one. That alone will hack pounds off your back.

5 pounds is also very heavy for a 40 degree bag. There are inexpensive 40 degree bags out there that weigh much less.

One pound of stakes is very heavy. Bring along only as many as the tent needs. Use aluminum, not steel. They're cheap. Stakes even for a two man tent should only be 4-6 ounces.

If you must use a ground cloth under your tent, and many don't, just use a cheap thin painter's drop cloth. That's half the weight you listed.

Use the day pack as the stuff sack for your sleeping bag. Think multiple use.

Honestly, with a base weight as high as yours right now, I would seriously consider ditching luxuries like the chair and the coffee press.

If you can't hack at least 20 pounds off your present total load I would strongly recommend the use of hiking poles. You'll need them to balance all that weight. A 70 pound pack may feel bearable and maybe not that bad in your living room. It may even feel OK for the first few miles. But the weight WILL take its toll and it WILL make you hurt. You didn't mention what kind of training you do or what physical shape you're in but carrying a pack that heavy for 36 miles (18 each way per your other post) could even result in a knee or back injury for a person who is not prepared.

Think not only in terms of what you need, but in what you don't need. And remember that you posted on a lightweight site. Your base weight is at least twice what some here consider to be a practical.

Edit: After reading your post in the trip planning section I modified a few lines to reflect the fact that you're going to base camp and not hike terribly far. I that situation a few luxury items may be in order......so long as your base weight is reasonable.

Edited by Trailrunner (09/15/10 12:32 AM)

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.