Didn't really have time to collect my thoughts earlier. Pica and OregonMouse have given you a lot of good info. I am not ultra light...a lot of my gear is from the late 1960's. Even so, on my last trip my pack weighed about 45 pounds (everything included) for an 8 day trip into the sierra. I carried for myself and a dog(she carried her food)including a tent. So here are a few more independent thoughts. All these people have developed their packing list OVER A PERIOD OF TIME. Since your trip is in 2011, you have time to do some overnite test runs after you come up with a final draft of your list. These test runs will also help you sort your feet and first aid kit out. For me these items go hand and hand. I generally bring a larger first aid kit than most, but over the last 40+ years I have used everything at least once on either myself or someone else.

If I am with a group, we generally consolidate stuff so we are not duplicating. If your feet develop hot spots, by all means be prepared for that. But don't have everybody carry a full first aid kit. On my last trip, my partners added things after the weigh in a week before the start date. This included spare tennis shoes, food (lots of food), walkie talkies, lavender scented soap, the list goes on ...

OK, the point is that deodorant may be a got to have for some people, but I'm thinking this is a very small minority. Everybody is different. A little experience will help tailor the list to your needs for comfort. It really is up to each person as to what is important for any given trip. Hey, when I was in my twenties and backpacking in the snow, we brought along 2 cases of beer. At the time it seemed important and it was a great trip. I wouldn't do it again, scotch is much more weight/effective and lasts longer. Remember, loose weight wherever you can...but be prepared for the weather.

Edited by skcreidc (09/14/10 10:10 PM)