Like Pika, I'm not sure where to start. All of your gear, without exception as far as I went down your list, is far too heavy. As Pika said, most of your gear items are double the weight that most of us carry, which is why he said you could easily cut your pack weight in half. You and your friends will swear off backpacking for good if you try to carry so much!

Link to the articles on the home page of this site. Read the articles in the left-hand column, especially this one. This one article helped me reduce my pack weight by more than half. I can now go out for 10 days with a 28 lb. total pack weight without sacrificing either comfort or safety. That includes fishing gear and clothing/gear suitable for the northern Rockies (see next paragraph).

In the area of things lacking, you are obviously packing for desert New Mexico and not for the northern Rockies. Where you are going, daily thunderstorms--usually several of them--are a given. Below-freezing nights and light snow are common. Rain gear is essential, not optional, and you need a sleeping system (bag/pad combo plus clothing worn inside) that will get you down to 25*F. Wearing your insulating clothing inside the bag will help, but it won't be enough to keep you warm inside a 40* sleeping bag.

For an idea of what's available in each gear category, from the latest technology to low-budget alternatives, try this site.

Even the Boy Scouts have lightened up! This article might give you more ideas. Just remember that you'll be where nights are in the mid 20's to low 30's, not the 40's.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/14/10 05:24 PM)