I carry a Ruger GP100 (357 pistol - 6 /1/2 inch barrel.) The joke is that if you run out of bullets you can always hit them with it. Yes it is that heavy. _but_ other than a long gun, I'm more accurate with it (with bear rounds) than the 9 or 40.

The one time I didn't carry it and just carried my pepper spray I saw a ton of fresh bear sign. I think what woke me up in the middle of the night was possibly a bear... or a porcupine - they make about the same amount of noise. I would feel awful if I put myself (and the bear/moose) in a situation where I had to kill a bear (or a moose) - so I do my utmost to avoid it.

Additionally, Alaska has a high number of crimes against women... and I often hike alone. I _feel_ more comfortable carrying it on my hip.

However, I have taken several gun classes and have been shooting since about 12. I hope to take another class in tactical shooting one of these days.

Now if they would just come up with a gun that cleaned its self =( or if I could talk my husband into doing it (and of course with final inspection by me.)

Heather