Originally Posted By hhavel
Why would you not learn "C"? I mean I can understand Java, or Ada or <shudder> Fortran, but good ol' "C"?!

(From a C/C++, Perl, some stupid proprietary language programmer)

A Perl coder? Wow, that's pretty rare these days wink

Actually, that's all I use. (Well, I write and hack a little Javascript, but not enough to count for anything).

But since you asked, I'll go ahead and get a little geeky here... I really like Perl. Code written in perl can be very complex, and is often purposely obfuscated to make it seem so, but it can also be very simple and easy to read and follow the logic. It's really a matter of approach.

Personally, I like to write code that is easy to modify, so I never spend time to create tiny "One liners" that do complex processing. Instead I break down the logic and write it out in the clearest possible way, one that I can come back to in a year or two and easily modify any aspect of the function. I also reuse a lot of my, and other peoples, perl code on other projects, so keeping it simple and easy to edit adds to my personal productivity.

But in many ways, I'm pretty much alone in this approach. It doesn't provide the job security that obfuscation does, or the feeling of sweet revenge when someone else has to take over code you've written, or protection against theft, so most coders would never approach it like I do. They also understand that the perception of complexity is often mistaken for brilliance when it comes to coding. I just don't think that way.

Fortunately for me, code written in this simple style of perl often benchmarks faster than more complex and compacted (obfuscated) approaches. Less lines of perl code rarely equates to a faster function or application.

But the real reason I don't want to learn "C" is that I am lazy. And I am over dedicating so much time learning how to use computer based tools. There is no way I could be productive with C code without spending at least a few years really dedicated to learning it and I'd rather go hiking wink

But I'm glad I learned perl, and for me, creating stuff with it is always fun smile

"You want to go where?"