Honestly my light philosophy is to lighten my load so my body doesn't ache. I was born with hip displacea, my grandpa walked with a cane in his later years, and my mom just got done with a series of hip replacement surgeries. Lucky for me the doctors caught it when I was born and I was in a cast for the first 6 months of my life. Hopefully that cured it, but I go light so I dont put a lot of stress on my hips, JUST IN CASE. Before I started going light, and subsequently when I first started backpacking, I had probably a 40lb pack base weight. Just guessing, I didn't weigh then. I remember my hips would kill me and all I could think about was surgery and canes! I am certainly not giving up backpacking, so I slowly bought new gear, light to UL, and I got my pack to a comfortable 15 lbs base weight and dropping.

These forums and all you folks with so much knowledge has helped me so much! Like the alcohol stove idea, quilt idea and all the other do it yourself alternatives that got my gears churning. I love it. When I hear of ways to have functioning light weight gear, yet cheap, I can't help but indulge. Thanks to all of you! Much appreciation!

thanks