I didn't know that. I thought the only maps you could use with a Garmin were from Garmin.

I have to start reading up on GPS units again. I'm pretty sure that some of the Magellan units allow you to upload your own satellite photos or images of maps. And I think they'll work with my National Geographic "TOPO!" maps. I assume you have to enter 3 sets of lat/longs/ to orient them, but that's pretty easy to do.

Basically what I mean by "Open Source" is the ability to use public domain data, images, and programming tools.

I have a over couple hundred bucks in Garmin maps already, but the old "MapSource TOPO" maps are obsolete now and I don't want to deal with that anymore.

The thing is, I haven't seen a GPS I like as much as my old eMap. I really don't like the eTrex models that much, and the larger units are heavier and use more battery juice than my eMap.

There's also the money thing. They're all so darn expensive. I don't want to spend more than a couple hundred bucks. I'm gun shy on electronic gizmos that just stop working or become obsolete in a few years. If I'm going to go through the trouble of learning how to use one, I want it last for ten years or more. (Like that could ever happen)

I do have to figure it out though. I like having a GPS when I'm bushwhacking around. It's pretty tough to find some spots again without one.

"You want to go where?"