My family has worked in the timber industry for over 100 years. We own a 2600 acre ranch that's main sources of income are timber and cattle.

Sustainable logging is very much practiced these days, especially where I live (Northern California). Also, logging is simply a necessity. There are dozens of products made from timber. In fact, the only thing more diverse that I can think of is plastic (which of course is derived from oil). People have this NIMBY attitude regarding it because they like walking in redwood groves and pine forests, and believe me I completely understand, but we have to harvest these resources.

Once we make it impossible to do so at home we have to get it somewhere else. I am surrounded by 100 miles of forests to the south and east and probably 300 miles to the north, yet timber comes in on barges because it's too expensive to harvest it here.

So instead of using our own resources, we buy from Canada or Brazil (where they have no regulation), and in addition have to pollute more to ship the product to America.

My point is, we need coal, gas, oil, timber, food, etc. It would be stupid of us to no harvest it from our own land, and depend on foreign sources like we do for oil. Just my two cents.