Originally Posted By Gaucho
Ok, here's a question that has been stalking me since I made the purchase: Do you think I'm likely to freeze my butt off if I use the Thermarest Ventra (40 degree) quilt in the high country. They say you should use a 25 degree bag (15 degree difference). I could bundle up, break out the chullo, gloves, and also break in the insulated jacket. I'm getting the impression this is something I shouldn't play with, given the unpredictability of the weather up there...

I have zero experience with the Ventra and as I have said previously, I haven't been to YNP, but I do live and backpack year round in the Colorado high country.

The problem with the high country is that the weather is just unpredictable and thus, while I would say that the average overnight temps would be around 40 degrees in August-- you have got to plan for it to be a little cooler since you very well could wake up to frost, snow or hail on the ground some mornings. Hence why people, myself included, always recommend a bag in the 20-25 degree range for three season backpacking at altitudes.

However with that said, for this trip and that time of year I think you will be fine in a 40 degree bag, provided you take ample clothing: some lightweight, long john type bottom and top, a warm jacket (down, synthetic, fleece) and of course hat, gloves and socks just incase the temps drop and the weather comes in. Because don't forget, your 40 degree quilt, is pushing the average 40 degree overnight temps-- so you may need the additional layers at night.

On a side note of your 40 degree bag, you will find that this bag is more suited to summer camping in the high country-- you will be hard pushed to carry enough clothes to supplement its warmth during the shoulder seasons.