I was talking to an older fellow, seasoned, about backpacking and hiking and he said the same thing as a generalization about the sport, not just the Whites. I believe technology is at fault here. More kids want to just sit at home and play video games. I know it, my younger brother (16) and his friends are a prime example. At his age I would be outside skateboarding around town, meeting people, going to burger king or to grab ice cream. Go fishing, canoeing, hopping on the bus to skate around NYC, playing baseball and kickball in the street till the sun set and you couldn't see anything anymore. I don't see kids doing that anymore, not just my brothers friends, but even neighborhood kids. I remember all the popular hang out spots for kids, and when I drive by, I don't see any of them there anymore, or anywhere come to think of it...occasionally a few, but I remember we would flock in mass numbers! Why is that no more? I believe a combination the violence and mothers worrying about creeps, cops harassing kids for loitering when they are just trying to have good honest fun, and the technology age. Technology is a way for kids to entertain themselves in doors, unhealthily hiding themselves behind a screen...I just hope they can find a way to connect with nature. Its important this day and age.

At the moment I am disgusted at my computer lol!