Update on gear:

Went to my first REI garage sale this morning. I figured I would get there 45min before the store opened its doors to have a good spot in line. I arrived to find a swarm of people quickly forming, by the time I got to the line it was almost around the corner of the plaza!! Nevertheless, I left with some unbelievable purchases. I was able to find 2 pair of trekking poles: REI carbon fiber UL Peaks and aluminum traverse for $30 altogether!!! The peaks didn't have a price on them, so I asked a store associate if he could give me a price (and to be gentle). He nonchalantly marked them at a whopping $10.83!!! After carefully inspecting them, making sure they weren't dented or if the locking mechanisms were shot, I was sold at hello. I figured even if they did have some sort of defect, I could use the parts somehow to fashion a set of poles. Also happy to report I found a Marmot insulated jacket for $30!!!, a 1.3L titanium pot for $14, and a thermarest ventra down comforter for $14!!! Still need a sleeping bag though. Has anyone else shopped at a "garage sale"? I am truly amazed at what I was able to find. OregonMouse, will not forget to bring my chullo and glove wink . TomD appreciate the references on the book and map, I picked up the guide already. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, will be updating as I keep collecting.
Hasta siempre.

Edited by Gaucho (07/31/10 02:13 PM)