Originally Posted By Gaucho
Oldranger, Thanks for the trekking pole advice. My only problem is that I am currently on the East Coast and fly back home the night before our drive into Yosemite. If I fashion some homemade poles, I worry they won't make the trip.

OR gave some excellent advise for low cost alternatives, however if you want actual poles then there is still no need to spend a fortune; I know that Walmart sells a pair of trekking poles for around $20 and these would be ideal for a first trip and to see if you even like using poles.

As for the bag, I'm unfamiliar with the Yosemite high country. How warm is warm for that time of year (800-fill?). Would a 3-season bag do the trick? Is 2lbs too heavy?

I have no direct experience with YNP, but in September *I* would plan for overnight lows around 40 degrees. So yes, a 3-season bag would do the trick, a +20 degree bag is a great all around temperature rating for three-seasons in the high country.

Winter backpacking and snowshoeing looks like something I would like to experience. So maybe I should be looking at a +15F bag?

I am not familiar with your part of the country, but I know here in Colorado a +15 degree bag would just not cut it for the winter months. So I would be wary about finding a "do-it-all" bag, then again, you may be in a state were you could get away with just one, year-round bag. I am sure others with more experience in your area will be a long shortly.