You guys cover everything on this board. I was actually thinking about this as I am going backpacking in northern California in about a month and thought I might bring my 1911 along. I do not have a CCW so I would have to open carry.

I would carry it mostly for protection against two-legged creatures. I have never had to use a firearm against an animal, and don't really anticipate needing to... although mountain lions are getting slightly more confident up here.

Marijuana cultivation is a problem up here in Northern California... and the growers seem to be getting more violent and reckless. I don't really anticipate problems with other hikers, as most people who are willing to hike into the wilderness seem to be decent people... even the ones who like to drink (also been part of those groups occasionally), but the trail heads and back roads can attract some undesirables.

I'm waiting back on an email regarding specific laws in the wildernesses I am considering going, and right now I'm split 50/50. I know of very few things that provide the peace of mind a firearm gives you... yet they are heavy, and open carry may make some people uncomfortable. Also if I decide to take it, it will have to be on me at all times. Can't leave a handgun in an unattended camp while I go climb a peak. Tough decision...