My breakfast (since I detest hot cereal and usually don't want to bother with the stove in the mornings) consists of meusli or grapenuts, freeze-dried berries or bananas, 1/3 C. dried milk and 2-3 tablespoons slivered almonds or other chopped nuts. If I'm out when the blueberries are ripe, I omit the freeze-dried fruit. I put each day's breakfast in a sandwich bag. Add cold water, stir gently to make sure there are no dried milk lumps, eat out of the bag. No dishes to wash; just lick the spoon. For me this is a very satisfying breakfast.

My "lunch" (eaten from 9 am to when I hit camp) consists of varied kinds of nuts (excellent source of healthy fat), dried fruit (freeze-dried for long trips to save weight) and a couple of bars, usually the Kashi bars since I have to avoid the ingredients of most "health food" bars. I vary each from day-to-day, so I'm not eating the same thing all the time. You will be so tired of dates by the end of day 3 that you'll never want to eat them again! You can pick up all sorts of dried fruit and nuts in the bulk foods section of any health food market or health food section of a regular supermarket (like Kroger's or its west coast affiliates like Fred Meyer and QFC). Dried apricots (my favorite), apples, raisins, cranberries, prunes, figs, various tropical fruits, all kinds of nuts--the selection is big enough that you could go a week without repeating, or just vary the mixtures!

Dinner is normally a home-dehydrated meal, rehydrated by pouring almost-boiling water into a freezer bag and letting it sit in a cozy for 15-20 minutes. If you're not into home dehydration, see Sarbar's website for many, many ideas using supermarket ingredients. Note her suggestions for adding flavor! I tend to dump herbs into anything I prepare. Cous-cous (actually a form of pasta which is ready in a couple of minutes after adding boiling water) is an excellent "filler." You can use bouillon powder (chicken, beef or vegetable) and either soy protein (such as TVP) or another bean product as a lighter weight substitute for meat. Just be sure to season it well.

I strongly suggest a varied menu or you will be sick of everything you have by the second day!

Another warning--test everything at home, first!