I will give you a bit of knowledge for a 8 day trip I just finished with 2 friends. Friend #1 eats oatmeal for every breakfast at home and regularly has an apple and power bar for lunch and then a very minimal diner that is very restricted as to ingredients. (no high fructose corn syrup, glutton free low sodium and low fat and next to zero red meats) for the trip he figured for dinners he would just carry homemade granola for each diner. Calorie and nutrition wise everything was covered and weight wise it was not bad. Four days in we walked 2 miles off the trail to get him a block of cheese and summer sausage to break the routine of his diet. Friend #2 had instant rice with a mix of dried veggies and meats to make up soups each night, his only problems was a miscalculation of the amount he would want to eat. Myself I carried oatmeal or freeze dried eggs for each breakfast and 4 granola bars for lunch and a freeze dried meal for dinner each night along with 4 pounds of trail mix for snacking. I ended up with over 8 pounds of left over food.
So the wisdom that I would impart is work real hard to have some variety and then work real hard to get the quantity correct. The extra eight pounds I carried took a toll I could have swapped that out for an extra set of dry socks or some frozen steak to trade for chores around camp. In hind sight 2 granola bars per day and ½ the number of breakfasts and trail mix would have put me with just 2 meals left at the end and being that we finished a day early that would have been perfect. Low weight is good but you want to have enough. I did give away a few pounds of food to some others that were running scary low and had a good 35+ miles to go to get any re-supply.
Variety and quantity two very hard to things to balance.