Jim, I don't know about Lori, but Wandering_Daisy does a considerable amount of off-trail travel, much of it actual mountaineering, in places like the Wind Rivers where "off-trail" often involves glacier travel, with crampons, or scrambling through talus. She also often goes out with a 40-lb. pack. Read her book and you'll see what I mean!

I notice also that a lot of rock climbers these days use thin, grippy low shoes, not climbing boots. They want something soft that will mold to and stick to the rock rather than something stiff where the contact area is much smaller.

I spent years arguing in favor of boots, using your arguments (although I'm not a climber) plus the old folktale about ankle support. Once I finally broke down and made the switch, I have found that trail runners are actually far more supportive than boots. I have often had problems with my ankles turning in boots, and with a history of ankle sprains felt that I needed them to prevent a new sprain. That piece of leather around my ankle, though, has turned out to be mostly psychological support. I have not had an ankle turn since I switched! In fact, I've tried deliberately to turn an ankle in the trail runners without success. It's the more supportive footbed, and particularly the anti-pronation devices built into the running shoes, that has made the big difference.

There are places I still wear boots--mostly in winter snow--but I can't wait to get them off!

I may be short, but I'm not "small" in any other sense, as you know!

I've found, as I get older, the "facts" I've stuck to for many years turn out to be only my own prejudices! Nothing wrong with that, but I have found that I enjoy being a bit more mellow about things! Not all change is bad, IMHO!

Edited by OregonMouse (07/09/10 03:06 PM)