Everyone says they want a pack that will last forever. I really disagree with this criteria. This usually means you have to go with a much heavier fabric or very high priced fabric (Kelty Cloud, for example, $600 pack!). Also rather than spend $400 on one pack that can "do everything" how about a small cheaper pack for weekend trips (say $100 range) and one-week trip pack (say $200 range). New packs are always being introduced. I do not think you really want to spend so much on one pack that you feel you cannot buy a new and better pack down the road. And, I would never buy a pack full price - there are plenty of sales if you spend some time looking. And if you are a beginner, I bet after a few more years experience, your idea of the "ideal pack" will be quite different.

Regarding reviews, you will always find a bad review of almost any pack. I really think that some manufacturers intentionally write bad reviews on competitor's packs! I certainly would not give much credit to one review. However if everyone that reviews the pack says it is bad, then that means something.