Thanks for the input. After our experiences with the Hiker Pro, I'll be selling mine and certainly wouldn't try anything that uses the same filter cartridge. I purchased because of its convenience...that and everyone said it was the cats meow. Might be for many but not where I use it. Too bad I didn't see until after purchasing but I now see that Katadyn states it is "for clear and slightly turbid water". However, Katadyn states their Pocket filter is "for extremely turbid water" hence my reason for asking about it....that and it looks/sounds like a robust filter that will reliably work for years.

As far as letting the silt settle, yes, we did with the Hiker Pro....at least once to camp. We'd let it settle overnight. With my MSR/Sweetwater Gaurdian, I got to the point that I wouldn't even let the water settle. Once it started to get difficult to pump, I'd just brush out the cartridge in the field. Wouldn't restore it fully but it wasn't bad...and I'd replace the cartridge about every 8 trips even though it was still going. However, since 96, I've had two of the filters break and one pump shaft.

Though I find the gravity system intriguing, until I hear of one that has been proven to work in very silty conditions (field cleaning is expected), I'll continue to pursue the Katadyn Pocket.

Edited by rustyb (06/29/10 08:14 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification