Originally Posted By finallyME
So, you eat instant rice and mashed potatoes but don't like dairy because it has no redeeming nutritional qualities. Sounds either uniformed, or hypocritical.

My information comes from the USDA's SR22 database, which is available online or through the excellent Java program CRONometer, a free download, which I occasionally use to spot-check my diet. Assuming I'm on the wagon, of course ;-)

Instant brown rice is just parboiled brown rice (I stay away from white rice) and potatoes, though much maligned, are actually an excellent staple, especially if you need complex carbohydrates and aren't interested in consuming fat. They're also an excellent source of potassium. A researcher who developed a "satiety index" (can be googled) also showed that they are the most satisfying food per calorie, making them great for dieters as well. Although I've lost 50 lbs from my high of 240 a couple of years ago (while lowering my cholesterol from 220 to 170), this is a concern for me since i'd like to lose more (and hopefully get my total cholesterol <= 150).

I shouldn't have said "no redeeming nutritional qualities." But, whatever nutrition dairy does contain is better obtained elsewhere because of what comes with the whole package. Not to mention the intuitive absurdity of consuming the milk of another animal.

Maybe we disagree as to what constitutes a good diet? In which case I agree to disagree.

--CamelMan (Peter)