The SubKilo is a discontinued model sleeping bag, but REI's newer bags do use the EN13537 system. What they don't say is which rating they are using or what the other ratings are. Because the SubKilo is a discontinued model, there are awesome prices on it at REI Outlet, especially with this week's additional 20% off coupon (expires 6/17). I got one for my grandson (not used yet) last fall with the last 20% off Outlet coupon. I'm thinking of getting the women's model for my granddaughter, although she's not ready for a down bag yet (still the occasional accident at night). I just assume that, as with most US-made bags, the rating is 5-10* overstated. At the current prices ($128 for the regular with the 20% off coupon, and free shipping), it's certainly a far better buy than the Campmor bag--better quality down, for starters, and therefore lighter for the actual warmth and probably longer lasting.

In other words, if your budget isn't up to a high-end sleeping bag, I'd go ahead and order the SubKilo while that coupon is in effect--you can't lose, IMHO! You can always add clothing layers to get it to its rated temp or a little below. It would, however, not make a good winter bag if you expect temperatures below 20*. Even with our mild Pacific NW climate, I'd want a 10 degree bag for winter.

Most American bag manufacturers plus Montbell, refuse to use the EN13537 ratings. I hope we can convince them to change their minds! The system isn't great, but it's a lot better than the fictional ratings of many manufacturers! With Montbell and Western Mountaineering, it's no big deal because their ratings are well-known to be accurate (or, in the case of WM, conservative). The rest, though....

Edited by OregonMouse (06/14/10 05:41 PM)