Actually, down (at least high quality down) dries faster! Here is an article on the study, but unfortunately you have to be a Backpacking Light member to read it! I hope they won't come after me if I quote this much:

Quote:
The synthetic Patagonia Micropuff absorbed more water than the down [Western Mountaineering] Flash and took longer to dry.

The Micropuff weighed 3.6 times its dry weight after saturation; the Flash vest weighed only 2.8 times its dry weight. While the vests dried at similar rates, the Flash was nearly dry after 70 minutes. At the same time, the Micropuff was still 1.5 times its dry weight and took another 70 minutes to completely dry.

Of course, whatever your insulation, you need to keep it protected with a waterproof covering (not a stuff sack), either a waterproof pack liner or a dry bag, so it doesn't get wet in the first place. My own experience is that a soggy synthetic sleeping bag is just as cold as a soggy down bag! In other words, never let your insulation get wet in the first place, regardless of type!

Down is much lighter than synthetic for comparable warmth, takes up less room in your pack and lasts 2-3 times as long if properly cared for. Page down to second table here.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/14/10 03:11 PM)