Originally Posted By gregpphoto
So the REI and most other bivy's are not meant to be used alone, without a tarp? What's the point then? It eliminates ease of use and a lot of the weight saved. And if this is the case, can you point out a completely waterproof bivy?

I do not know of anyone who would take a bivy without a tarp-- certainly not when they expect precipitation

Generally it is the other way around. I always take a tarp, but I do not always take a bivy. To me a bivy is a piece of gear that is only needed in extreme inclement whether.

-How does carrying a tarp eliminate "ease of use"-- I can set up my tarp and take it down in around 2minutes. You would be hard pushed to set up a doubled-walled tent this quick.

-As for eliminating weight savings. My tarp, bivy and stakes weigh in at 19.6 oz. Most tents weigh double this! I can also drop the bivy (as noted above) and my shelter drops to 12.8oz. Pretty dam light!

The extra clothes I bring don't add up to more than a bag that most people could afford. Sure, you can get a bag that's lighter. For $350 and up usually. In the mean time, I'll bring an extra $50 fleece thank you!

What is with this notion that light gear is more expensive! Take a look at Campmor's +20 down bag ($120) or REI's SubKilo for around the same price. This is only $20 more than your Lafuma and $50 fleece but offers a better warmth to weight ratio.

What I intend to achieve with the tripod and poncho is actually the opposite of counter-productive. Think about it. The poncho, draped over and secured to a tripod, gives me a whole lot of room to breath into. Rather than breathing into the bivy, I'm breathing into a big open space.

A tarp, around 10oz and $80 will give you a bigger space and offer better protection. P.S. You are still breathing into the bivy-- you face is facing the mesh and you are still exhaling out of the same space. The poncho does nothing but deflect a bit of rain. Personally I use a bivy when I expect heavy down pours and in bug season-- the rest of the time, I leave it at home.