It's not like either one.

It's a fairly stiff framesheet (I haven't been able to determine whether there's a stay in it or not) with slots in it at about 1" increments; each shoulder strap (connected by the carry loop) has a rectangular, flat buckle on the end that slips through the slot, then rotates to lie flat against the inside of the framesheet (kind of a "tab A into slot B" thing.)

Granite Gear does show an Escape 60 Ki on its website (use the drop down menu on the home page, and go onto the sideways drop-down under ultralight packs to find it; there's no listing for it if you just click on ultralight packs - appears to be a website error.) The Ki series packs are women specific. I don't know whether that means narrower shoulder straps and spacing or not. For whatever it's worth, I don't have particularly broad shoulders, and they fit me very well.

You must be one of the younger folks on the forum - Coleman used to use a similar tab-and-slot system on its molded external frame series (though, as one of the older folks, I can no longer remember its name!) grin

I'll add a post, or edit my original post, after the trip this weekend, and let you know how it performs.