Originally Posted By rionada
I know that there are places where camp fires are not allowed, but if they are - why not just cook over a small camp fire - no stove required? (No stove weight, no fuel weight, just slightly blackened pots). I don't usually carry any stove.

rionada

I have an agenda with this wood stove... First, I'd like to loosen the capitalists' death-grip on our planet by offering a sustainable alternative to their fossil fuel canisters and stoves.

Second, if I can design one that actually works reliably in a wide variety of circumstances, then maybe I could make 25-50 bucks a pop by manufacturing them (myself, by hand).

Third, I think a wood stove has a smaller footprint then just an open fire and might also be way more efficient and safer for cooking. However, I'm not opposed in any way to people who have the skills to cook over an open fire. I believe native Americans probably cooked like that.

I did come up with a design last night that I think has the potential to actually work in the field, under many conditions. It incorporates adjustable primary intakes and adjustable fresh-air pre-heated secondary intakes. From what I've seen, current adjustable-intake stoves use air that is somewhat oxygen depleted, because it is in direct contact with the bottom of the pyrolysis zone. My secondary intakes are separate channels, but travel through the usual hollow wall to be heated. Hot oxygen! I'm excited about making it, but am out of cans today. Haha. My picnic table outside is a jumble of cut-up cans, flashing, wire, and piles of branches. Wish I had a camera. (Besides the one on my monitor).

Attachments
adj1.jpg

Description: This is my last work-up. It has adjustable, shared, primary and secondary intakes. It's a working model only, not finished. It was promising in my first test of it.

adj2.jpg

Description: This is the bottom of it.