Originally Posted By OregonMouse

One of these days I'm really going to try out an alcohol stove! I'm so used to the convenience of the canister that I've been procrastinating about this. But considering that the canister uses fossil fuel and is non-refillable (although it can be recycled after being punctured and aired out), I think I should at least try to make the switch!

Can you fry fish on an alcohol stove, though? Or do I still need to take the canister stove if I'm fishing (assuming, of course, that I actually catch one, ha ha)? I'm not at all into sushi or into fried fish that has absorbed a ton of oil because the fire isn't hot enough!

Not very well in my opinion. it takes a lot of fuel. Alkys are best for just boiling water. The penny stove simmers acceptably well with the simmer ring on it and I've made things like non dehydrated oatmeal, pastas, and other such "simmer for a while" dishes over it - but the only time I've tried to fry over it I was dissapointed, not hot enough, and the "batch load" nature of it made it difficult, unlike water where you know "this much fuel will make it boil..."
Browse my pictures