That's what I do when I build a fire--just gather twigs, clear a space free of burnable material and keep it really small. Of course in most of the places I backpack fires are not allowed--because of fire danger or because of being close to timberline (insufficient wood supply). Even where these rules don't apply, I'm usually "stealth camping" where there are no established fire rings and I don't want to start a new one. Just remember that where no fires are allowed, wood stoves aren't, either!

One of these days I'm really going to try out an alcohol stove! I'm so used to the convenience of the canister that I've been procrastinating about this. But considering that the canister uses fossil fuel and is non-refillable (although it can be recycled after being punctured and aired out), I think I should at least try to make the switch!

Can you fry fish on an alcohol stove, though? Or do I still need to take the canister stove if I'm fishing (assuming, of course, that I actually catch one, ha ha)? I'm not at all into sushi or into fried fish that has absorbed a ton of oil because the fire isn't hot enough!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/26/10 02:27 AM)