Originally Posted By Chattaben
This may be a dumb question but what the hell. So after my last trip I seemed to have lost my sleeping bag stuff sack. Its a Marmot Sawtooth 15 degree down bag and looking around the internet I found out that the stuff sack volume was 11.6 liters.

Can I just buy any old stuff sack with approximately the same volume and put it in there?

Yes, pretty much, or as people have mentioned, you can even go without.

Quote:

Should I spend the money on one of those sea to summit dry sack compressions things?

I don't. but I'm one of the minority of the more experienced people here in that I will typically put my sleeping bag in a compression sack for the duration of a trip. I take it out and store it fluffed afterwards. My bags aren't really any worse for wear after many years but people will disagree with me.

I use a lightweight silnylon compression sack. this adds some
water resistance to the outside, and between that, a garbage bag and the pack itself I can usually count on staying nice and dry.

I don't put my bag in loose myself, due to the possibility of the occasional bit of water getting into my bag. But many people do this without a problem (you could always put it loose in a garbage bag)

You will see a lot of different styles of how to deal with that. choose one that works for you.

Browse my pictures