Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
To me the ultimate back-country experience is to really live out there

I absolutely agree with that. My first real trip provided that experience for me. It only took me about 2-3 days to entirely forget I had to go back to live in the city in a couple weeks and I didn't even think about it at all again until the day before it was time to leave.

I don't think I've ever been more content in my life than I was in those few weeks. Also new to me was the fairly severe depression that set in on the drive back from the Sequoia Forest to Los Angeles. Didn't see that coming at all and it took a few more weeks to shake it off.

But honestly, I'm not sure I'd have really experienced any of that had I been on the trail the entire time, as opposed to the wilderness campsite we stayed at. Had I been hiking everyday on a trail the end of the trip would have been at the forefront of my consciousness the entire time.

But to be frank, I think what has irked me when talking with those who cannot hike without making it a foot race is that air of superiority they project as they make it a point to focus on the number of miles they did, as if it were a measure of their skill as an outdoorsmen, or even worse, their level of fitness, when really, it measures neither.

Consider who's more fit; a marathon runner or a weight lifter?

Could anyone that bench presses 350 pounds beat a competitive marathon runner in a long distance race? Could any competitive marathon runner lift 350lbs over their head?

The answer to both those questions is obviously "No". For me, as far as backpacking into the wilderness goes, the important question has been posed by W_D.

"Did you ever really live out there?"

If you don't know how hard it is to come back, I don't think you have.

Bill

"You want to go where?"