I don't have a problem with people carrying a gun in the backcountry. I've done it myself on a few trips. I am a cop and have never had any problems with anyone with a concealed carry permit.

Before I became an officer I was threatened twice with a gun. Both times I was lucky enough to be armed. At the time I lived in a questionable area and my access to my carport was blocked on the south end of the alley due to construction. So I went to the north end and it was blocked by my local gang banger/drug dealer as he was talking (later I realized he was probably selling dope) to someone in a car. I waited a minute and then asked nicely if they could move the car so I could get through. They told me to F-off. This kind of pissed me off and so I honked my horn and the guy in the car pulled out a small handgun and put it out the window of his car (pointing up in the air) and lowered his hand back into the car. I had just gotten back from the gun range and had a loaded stainless 6" .357 magnum sitting next to me so I stuck my gun out of the window and I've never seen someone back up so fast. I acted out of instinct and probably should have just backed out and called the cops. It could have gone downhill fast.

The second time I was car camping in a remote area and during the night some drunk guys pulled in and decided to camp right next to us. They played loud rap music all night long and I went and asked them to please turn it down (I was armed and they didn't know it) and they told me no in a not so nice way. They were getting high when I had walked over there.

The next day they were talking really loud about killing our dog and doing things to the women in the group that were with us. They were also carrying around a little .22 rifle and saying they were going to kill us. They still didn't know that they were way outgunned as there were several firearms in our group and we had discussed what to do. We had contacted the sheriff but they were at least an hour from getting to us. We were also concerned because they had a young girl and she seemed very frightened and not well cared for.

They actually walked through our camp to start a fight and then saw that we had several guns and then backed down. They packed up really fast and hit the one road out of there but were snagged up by a deputy not far from our camp. We met the deputy on the road and it was very satisfying to see those losers cuffed and sitting in the weeds on the side of a dirt road. The deputy told us that one of them had felony warrants out for his arrest.

As a cop I've nearly had to shoot two people. One guy pulled a gun and then thought the better of it smile. The next guy was going to the bar to kill his wife and her new dancing partner and decided he would rather live than be shot so he let go of his gun.

Sorry if I somewhat went off on a tangent.

-Skippy