Daisy
you hit the nail love. smile Seems there are only 2 statistics given, down fill rating (bogus) and total weight....? Weight for what? Insulation or shell? Besides that you might learn whether the shell is "water proof?", but they won't say "our shell is under stuffed to save production cost of expensive fill and to make it 1/2 ounce lighter than the competitor so you'll buy it because we know you don't really care about junk like loft and stuff."

For my own usage, a down jacket is for when I stop the aerobic activity of getting to camp, and intend to kick back in the evening sitting on a foam pad with no campfire, and I expect that down garment (and my down pants) to provide all of the insulation required to keep me warm. OR for if I break a leg and the down jacket is all I have, I don't get hypothermia. IT does not mean - "Its sorta warm worn with a bunch of other stuff that probably weighs more than my 30 year old down coat."
Jim smile