Originally Posted By billk
Originally Posted By OregonMouse

After the time I got my Goretex-lined boots wet and they took three days of sitting in the sun to dry out, I will never buy shoes with Goretex again.

This is a mystery to me. I know others have had the same experience with Gore-Tex (or other w/b), but I've had nothing but good experiences with it. The one time I got my Gore-Tex lined boots wet inside (clumsy step into a lake) they dried quite quickly, and I've never had any leakage in the rain. I've used three different boots with Gore-Tex: Zamberlan Civettas, Lowa Klondikes, and currently Keen Targhees (Event, I think).

Oops..I lied. My original Klondikes that I bought very used at REI leaked a bit in heavy rain.

Everything wets out eventually, and Gortex is no different. If you are hiking in periods of prolonged or heavy rain, then your feet are going to get wet. Like OM said, Gortex, once it has "wet-out" takes longer to dry-out than standard, none-WP boots/trail-runners.

I just don't see the need for gortex boots, shoes, jackets or pants. Heavy stuff, that is even heavier when wet and stays wet for longer.