Started off hiking alone about 45 years ago. Then came the Military, then hiking with work buddies then the children. Now everyone is too busy to hike camp and hunt. So I’m back to exploring by myself again and that’s okay as I enjoy my company and the time in the forest is always well spent time.

Sure I’ve got myself in a few jams, been lost, ran out of water a few times. Sometimes critters will give me a fit like feral pig’s snakes, or coyotes. In forty some years of hunting and camping I’ve only had four bear encounters that come to mind and they were mainly “Oh my!” moments.

I don’t make a base camp anymore because when away exploring my camps have been compromised by critters and I’ve had some good gear torn up in recent years and I’ am not sure why that is. Never had that problem before I never leave unsecured food around even had some critters chew up a few of my expensive Macanudo cigars once. I always carry some type of firearm, not for the critters but for the two legged animals I run across from time to time, mostly at trailheads.

The reason I still hike is because the majority of my outings I am undisturbed by man or beast which just leaves the tranquility of the moment and that friends is what it’s all about.