food wrote:
Quote:
A group is only as strong as the weakest link and unless everyone on the trip is capable of solo hiking then the group might not be safer than solo hiking.

I've had exactly the same experience and very much agree!

I have several reasons for going solo. (1) I just plain prefer being out there alone. (I do have my dog with me, and as a few others on this forum know, he's excellent company!) I like to putter along at my own pace, enjoying the scenery and smelling the flowers. (2) These days I hike so slowly that if I strain to keep up with a group, I'm far more apt to have an accident or just plain collapse short of the goal. (3) Finding someone to backpack with who is compatible with my snail-like backpacking style and who can backpack on weekdays is basically impossible.

I do take a PLB with me except for short dayhikes on more populated trails. I do keep in mind at all times that should I have an accident, at my age it will probably be the end of my hiking career. I also leave an itinerary with my daughter-in-law, whom I can trust not to panic if I'm overdue (my instructions are to wait at least 24 hours, sometimes longer).

Edited by OregonMouse (04/27/10 02:23 PM)