Quote:
I'm an astronomy nut (I've built about ten telescopes) and so my usage is going to be different than yours.

No kidding...me too! I've hauled my Fujinon SMT 10x70's up mountains and forewent all kinds of stuff to get 'em in my pack. ATM here too....refractors and reflectors, more than I want to remember!

Back on subject....I have two backpacking options of choice. Little Nikon Travelite 9x25's have served me well. I have astigmatism in both eyes and the little exit pupil suits me.
Option 2...1/2 of a binocular..ie, monocular, but with poro-prisms. A 7x35 pair bought at a garage sale yielded one good side. I band sawed off the good side and ended up with a very good monocular.

I wouldn't bother with an objective lens smaller than 25mm... though small, you loose contrast in all but bright sun.
You can pack a monocular with a big objective for the same weight as a pair of binoculars of smaller objective, and be able to enjoy the night skies.
Why bother carrying something if the view/performance is bad....ain't worth the weight.