As seen in other posts up and down this thread, the calorie density (calories vs. weight) of so-called energy bars is not particularly high. While many contain healthy ingredients and vitamin/mineral additives, the concept of "energy" bars has always come across as misleading marketing to me...there simply isn't an "energy" boost (calories) that is greater than most other trail snacks and/or junk food.

Like others who posted here, I believe a gorp mix based on mixed nuts and dried fruits is your best bet. I think it tastes better and I know it's way cheaper. Another alternative is home-made Logan bread bars incorporating the same ingredients as the gorp. But my own barely topped 130c/oz, not much above the calorie density of the commercial energy bars. That may or may not be worth the effort depending what you are looking for... I use the Logan bars for breakfast, the gorp for trail snacks and lunch.

FB