Originally Posted By balzaccom

I'm not saying I abuse my pack, but if I want to put it down on some granite, I don't want to have to think about it.

I'll end this by asking a question: for those of you who use very light packs---how many miles/seasons do you get out of them? And do you feel that you have to "coddle" them in any way on the trip?

It is a common misconception that UL equipment is less durable. The G4 which I use is made of 70D ripstop nylon; the same stuff that most tent floors are made out of. The point being is that if you can look after your tent, then you should be able to look after a backpack. I mean, lets face it, who goes throwing their gear on the floor anyway? I know that I "place" my stuff on the ground-- my G4 has seen two thru-hikes of the CT, as well as countless other backpacking trips and shows no signs of wear. Either-way 70D ripstop can withstand quite a bit of abrasion, but again, I won't be dragging my pack down the trail anytime soon either. smirk

The other reason that tradional packs are heavier is not just down to the material, but due to all the exessive additions such as multiple pockets, zippers, straps, buckles, waist/shoulder padding, aircore venting-- the list continues about what crap is added to packs these days.