Originally Posted By forsciguy
Thanks! I was hoping to hear that! From what I have been reading a bag is not something that you want to skimp on (which is why I went from originally looking at an $80 Marmont Synthetic from Dick's to the 20 degree $120 Campmor to the higher end down bags from WM and Montbell. Pricey, but I hope worth it). That $85 will now go into my Double Rainbow (although I am still in my research phase, this looks like a really good 2 person).

Don't get me wrong, you can get by without spending a fortune on a high-quality down bag; people have doing it for years. My father-in-law still goes out with an old 6lb REI synthetic bag, my brother-in-law has an REI Sub-Kilo and both of them have zero problems. However, I always say that if you can afford such a quality down bag, and camping/backpacking is something that is a permanent thing, then they are well worth the cost. FWIW, I have two (3-season and winter) Feathered Friend sleeping bags and if something happenend to them both, I wouldn't hesitate to spend the same kind of money again to replace them.

As for a light two-person set-up, have you thought about tarps? A 13oz, 8x10 tarp from Campmor only costs $70 and will easily fit two people+2 lots of gear.