I tend to avoid energy bars in favor of nuts, which are high in protein and healthy (monounsaturated) fat and which keep me satisfied when nibbled throughout the day, plus dried fruit. Of course I have this little problem of sensitivity to iodine, which many of these energy bars contain thanks to the desire to fortify them with every vitamin and mineral known to science. My main objection, though, is that most energy bars (and I've looked at a lot of them) contain far too much sugar. The result will be a sugar high for a short time followed by a rush of insulin because your body objects to all that sugar in your bloodstream. Often your insulin glands overdo it and your blood sugar becomes too low, causing you to "hit the wall." I have personally seen this happen to hikers who rely mostly on sugary foods! Many medical folk believe these ups and downs are a major cause of Type 2 diabetes.

If you can find an energy bar that is mostly complex carbs (whole grains), protein and monounsaturated fats, rather than sugars and "bad" fats, please let me know! I've been looking for them!