I've backpacked hard the last three summers and I'm a guy that (was) overweight and generally out of shape. But by the end of summer I'm always much leaner and meaner, and then I fall into the boozing and crappy diet routine as I party all winter. And then each spring I drop some lbs to get ready for another summer of backpacking.

Well this spring, I've really been serious about getting back into very decent shape for backpacking. In two months I've already day-hiked over 200 miles, dropped 20 pounds and am in the best shape I've been in over 15 years. I made a decision to stick to a fabulous diet and I've been hitting the weights pretty hard too, although I've mostly only done leg exercises and spent many hours on the stairmaster at the gym.

Some on this thread have said that lifting weights is not beneficial to backpackers but I COULD NOT DISAGREE MORE. On the types of trails I routinely BP (many 1000s of elevation gain and very rocky terrain), POWER is the name of the game. Cardio is obviously more important to backpackers but power is almost as important when you are rocketing up steep slopes that act more like steep staircases than smooth trails. When you are attacking a steep slope, those thousands of lunges and squats you did in the gym are going to PAY OFF FOR SURE.

And great cardio will only take you so far........think about when you're coming down that steep slope. Your quads are going to burn!! Again, those quad extensions you did all winter are going to pay off here.

I've only worked out now for two months and it's amazing how much more of a powerful backpacker I have already become. I still have a ways to go, but when I day hike in the foothills I can already feel the benefits of the weight lifting. POWER POWER POWER!!!!