Gee whiz, tough crowd. I was hoping for something like this:

"Hey, great, Patrick, you got it down to 13 pounds! Welcome to the UL Club!" Yeah, Unwashed Louts.

But then nobody knows how I used to pound myself (no pun intended) with 60 pound loads. I was so excited to post this list... and what do I get?

Here's the thing - I am retired and recovering from complications to heart surgery. I'm okay, but it's been a tough 5 years, during which I found only occasional work. I live on SS of under a grand a month, so I have like $150 a month discretionary cash. That's practically the same as not having any money.

Of all the stuff on my list, I only need to purchase a few items:

the pack
the pad
the Trek 900
the coffee cup
the filter
the whistle
the match container and strike anywhere matches
the GoLite poncho tarp

Everything else - I have.

I was proud of myself for choosing to purchase the poncho, because it weighs so little compared to rain pants and jacket. I can use it as a wrap when I'm sitting under the main tarp on a cold, rainy, windy day on top of Jay Mountain. It covers the pack while hiking in the rain. I can stay dry while setting up camp in a sudden downpour. blah dee blah blah.

I plan to make trips to that mountain this year, starting next month. I'm walking daily to get in shape for it. I wear a loaded Gregory Miwok on my walks. Maybe 10-15 pounds, as I always carry the 100 ounces of water in the bladder, plus other stuff. So this gear list is for mid-April to late fall, or basically the months when there's no snow on the ground. Three seasons.

I hear ya about the bag, but it's all I got, and I'll use it like a blanket. If it's too warm, well, I'll uncover as needed. My priority is: GET OUT THERE. So, I'll get a lighter bag someday - the Campmor maybe? The SD Transition is a poor bag for 3 season, but it's a bag. It will do for now. At 13 pounds base weight, 4 pounds of food and coffee (I will not do without my French dark roast coffee, seasoned with honey and instant nonfat powdered milk, thank you very much), and a couple/three pounds of water, I'm at 20 pounds. I've never hiked with less than 45. EVER.

But hey, I know, I know. I'll trim the corners off my toilet paper to save a couple micrograms per dump. Really, I don't even want to know how you guys go without TP. Please, don't share. <shudder>

Uh, Chris, about the jar... did you notice it's listed under PERSONAL? Nicht? Same with my wash cloth. Trust me, you don't want to know any more about it. Let's call it "wound treatment".

Like I said, tough crowd.

Not much clothing, but if I'm moving, I've got enough. When I stop, I can put all my clothes on if needed, and with no wind I ought to be good. If not, I can wrap up in my bag and/or poncho under the tarp and be good to zero degrees. If I'm sitting around, I'll wrap up. The water bag is for the end of the day, for coffee, for a meal, for washing, for spitting. I'll have so much water, I may start a frog pond.

Nobody said anything about a 6 ounce filter/pump. I have the url. It costs $26. I used it for 20 years in Texas, multiple trips of several days to a week. Always worked. Timberline Filter. 6 ounces. $26. One micron.

Anybody ever use the SMD Traveler? I am so impressed with what I've read about this pack. It's under 2 pounds! I thought one of you smart guys might have mentioned that I probably wouldn't need the 5 ounce stays if I'm carrying 13 pounds with the z-lite suspension system. I guess you missed that part. Five ounces, ya know, is 141.75 grams.

If someone would buy my boots and GPS, I could buy a bag and save a pound and a half. That's almost 700 grams right there.

The Trek900 is too heavy??? Use aluminum foil, huh... Spartans R Us.

I thought somebody might suggest removing the handle from the knife, hold it with my teeth to save 30 or 40 grams.

I'm sure I missed somebody's keen observations of my list, so I'll have to come back. After I reload.

I'm glad I didn't mention that my socks are cotton, as well as my thermal long-sleeve shirt. It's better than going without one, ya know. Well, maybe not for this crowd.

I was so proud of myself for not including my 13 ounce bladder set-up, instead opting for two empty water bottles of the thin, light, plastic variety. Saved me 12 ounces. That's okay, I know I did good. I'll pat myself on the back.

Nobody wants to know what kind of cord? You guys gettin soft? Also, I have older stakes, they may be aluminum for all I know. And what's with a 3 ounce compass??? Real hikers use a leaf and a pin... 0.01 ounces.