Originally Posted By Jake28
hey
I was wondering if any of you exercise regularly, just leading up to a trip or not at all...

last year i lifted a lot of weights and my legs were pretty strong. i still work out fairly often but have not been doing my legs much at all. im wondering how this will affect my backpacking trips this summer. maybe the fact that im in good shape as a whole will be enough.

jake

I couldn't really say that I train specifically for backpacking and I try to avoid the gym as much as possible-- I find the whole experience in there very unenjoyable. Thus the only things that I do for "exercising" purposes are running and in the summer I will hit the pool.

I guess I manage to stay in shape partly because of my age and because I am active all year round-- skiing and snowshoeing in the winter, combined with trail running, hiking, biking etc the rest of the year.

Just yesterday for example I hiked the 10miles to the summit of Bergen Peak and back-- just for pleasure and things like this keep me in shape for those 7-13 mile days on the trail.