I have been an avid backpacker the last three summers. I enter Spring always out of shape, but I always hit the day hikes hard all Spring and by July and backpacking season each year I am ready for average length trips with some decent elevation gain here in Colo. But I gotta admit, even after these 2-3 night trips, I come home absolutely spent.

For general info, I am right now 35, 5'11", 210lbs, and a dude who was not gifted with an incredible physique but I am built like a pear - my strength and endurance has always been in my lower body. I excelled at sports where lower body strength and endurance was important, namely soccer and baseball.

This summer, I want to tackle some trips that I have never attempted before......more on that later.......but until June, conditioning is of utmost importance to me.

I hate to say it, but I let my weight and fitness level deteriorate this last winter again, but the good news is, not as much as years past. I have come into the early Spring as dedicated to conditioning as ever. With a very good diet and decent conditioning schedule, I have already lost 10lbs in the last 3 weeks, and hopefully have put on 3-5lbs of muscle in my legs, but 10lbs total weight loss regardless.

In years past, all I have ever done was just get out and hike trails close to home during springtime, building up pack weight and mileage until July, and then off into the highcountry I would BP. But this year, I have incorporated weight training into my schedule along with (so far) short, day hikes in the hills. I haven't done any lifting since I was a young man. I understand that technique is important and so far that is what I have been concentrating on for the last 2-3 weeks at the gym.

This has been my training regimen for the last 3 weeks. When it's too cold or snowy for outside hikes, I do 40-60 mins on the treadmill at a 6-7 degree incline and 3.6-3.7 mph. When the trails are passable, I have been doing 3-4 mile hikes with about 500' elev gain. And three nights a week, I hit the gym to do (only) lifting in the legs. The only movements I've done have been the leg extension machine, hamstring curl mach, lunges with 10-15lb barbells, and leg presses. And I am doing higher amounts of reps, like 16-20. Daily, I'm either on the trail, treadmill, and/or gym to lift. And I will take off one day a week.

The last three summers, I have only done 2-3 night trips, covering about 20-25 miles per trip, but with some decent elev gain....upwards to 3500' per trip. My goal this year is DISTANCE, DISTANCE, DISTANCE..........My first trip is planned into the Thorofare in the Tetons, lasting about 6-7 nights, and it will require a 25 mile hike in (but only 1200' elev gain), another 15-20 miles day hiking/fishing around the destination, and then 25 miles back out. My other trips planned are some 50 milers (with 4-5000' gain) over the coarse of 5-6 nights. I have never done these types of longer trips before and I know I need to get into shape ASAP.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want to be able to tackle some 15-20 mile days and still feel fairly chipper the next day. I am not a true LW fanatic but I go as LW as possible. i.e. on a typical 3 night trip last year, my pack averaged about 37-38lbs (that's with 5lbs of fishing gear, which is a necessity). Last summer, I could fire up a seven mile 2500' over the coarse of a long afternoon, so i wanna get stronger.

Come May and June, I plan to be doing 12-15 mile day hikes 2-3x weekly. And then escalate pack weight in through June.

My question is what is the best way to get there? How much should I concentrate on weight lifting and building muscle in my legs? What movements are the best for BP'g? Are there other movements I should do in the gym? Is working out other body parts as important as legs? Should I 86 the 3x weekly lifting workouts and concentrate more on mileage on the trails? Lift more now, and then work on mileage on day hikes later? Due to snow sometimes in the Spring, one can't really get onto the longer trails til later, and I despise cardio machines at the gym. But, I'll do it if I absolutely have to until the snow melts in the lower elevations.

Any success stories out there you'd like to share?

And what about diet tips for BP conditioning. I'm fairly knowledgeable about diet. Right now, I am concentrating on a very lo fat, low calorie diet with as much protein and fruits and veggies I can put down. But my weekness is, of course wheat breads and white rice. But, I've been very diligent with tons of fresh/steamed veggies and tons of grilled salmon and chicken breast. I love these items too. And how much protein should I be putting down? I am trying to lose maximum (fat) weight right now, but I also want to build muscle.....

Again, I need to concentrate on building my legs, lungs, and stamina for distance with a pack on.