OregonMouse I do have a workbook I obsess over some. As I mentioned, I usually update it after every hike...just to add "lessons learned". I also change my food choices. With a 3 day food carry I was around 23-24lbs for my Okanagan thruhike. Including a litre of water...which left me high and dry at one campsite!

Unfortunately, I just changed computers and have to make a few "adjustments" like updating to Windows 7 before I bother to load Office again. Oops, just weighed this 2003 Ghost, it somehow got heavier at 41oz! So my big 4 is a bit heavier at more like a solid 8lbs (7lbs 14oz). There may be some benefit in considering other packs like the Starlite at 30oz. Or even the Ohm at 23oz! Then I'd have to leave something out.

http://jason-parks.com/public/UltraLight/Gear/Ghost.html

I haven't repackaged the small 90% deet I've had since 2003 but that would save an ounce or two. Everything else, I've had a go at, except my binoculars and camera. The binos I usually carry round my neck (I'm a birder) and the camera in a attachable strap case so I've got a pretty good setup.

I still think a smaller pack, for the $200 will get me working at carrying less. I read a review of the Ohm where the person sent it back as it was not quite big enough for their load. The only problem is that these packs typically ahave a 2000 ci main bag and then include all the mesh pockets. I think the Ohm has up to 2500ci with the extension collar. With a small tent, that could be carried in the mesh pocket. I think that was the benefit of the Ghost as it fit everything in the main bag at 2600ci and the two side pockets make up the remainder of the 3100ci. I'm going to troll around for a few other examples of packs with 2500ci + in their main compartment that come it around 30oz.

Edited by wildthing (03/01/10 11:04 AM)