OM: I understand what you mean.

I have read reviews like yours and realize some do not work. Thats why I got mine at REI, just in case it was a bad one. I have had no problems yet.

I met a guy on Mt. Hood who had carried a steripen from Mexico on the PCT. He loved it and said it had been very reliable

As far as using chemical treatment. I would rather not ingest all the chemicals that it would take to purify enough water. I know there is chlorine and stuff like that in city water but I filter that out too. As mentioned earlier the chemical treatment takes a long time as well so I will carry the extra 5 ounces to have water in 90 seconds.

Phat: No matter what I brought for collecting water I would have a backup. Whether it is extra stove fuel for boiling or another filter I would not feel comfortable with only one means of getting water.

I guess the moral of the story is this is what works for me and it will probably be different than what you prefer. People have their own opinions about what works and what doesnt, we just need to find what works for us.