Thanks for the welcome. hikerduane I don't blame your mom for seeking warmer temps--it can get pretty cold up this way.

Glenn, I don't know if I will make it to the Isle this year, but I have been told it is a truly remarkable place.

Bobc, your advice is great. We are planning a test weekend of all the equipment at Afton State Park in early May. It is a beautiful little hikers park on the St. Croix River and is only miles from my house. I have done quite a bit of day hiking there, but I want to get an idea of how carrying full packs with all the gear will work. Thus far my gear list is a hodge podge of a lot of items we already have at home. I have a fairly lightweight two man tent and sleeping bags. I will need sleeping pads so any advice on good ones will be appreciated. The biggest expenditures for us will be the packs as I only have two small Kelty day packs now. the other major cost for us will be if I decide to invest in a stove, or if I am going to risk using a small alcohol stove I made. Any advice anyone?